Wednesday, February 9, 2011

Rub Rail on, and More Painting

Although the day started in the 40's, it soon warmed up enough to paint.

I screwed the rub rails on, working from bow to stern, using a pair of clamps to bend the rails to take the strain off the screws.


After I started to screw on the first rail, the forward end just didn't look right- it stuck out to the side too much. I had not shaped the end with enough taper. So I unscrewed it, recut the end, and cut the other rail to match. Once the rails were fully attached, I trimmed off the excess at the transom. A straightforward job, but one with plenty of opportunity to botch it, so I did it carefully. The screw holes need filling, and the rails will get two more coats of paint.

The deck will need a bit of filling and a second coat of paint, and the bottom inside can use a second coat, so I prepped them with sanding, vacuuming and wiping down with a damp rag. But the actual painting today was the darker green trim on the centerboard and its case, the thwarts, including the stern sheets planks which have not yet been installed, and the coaming.

Getting the rub rail on and the coaming painted starts to show the boat's finished appearance, even with the deck sanded. I like the contrast between the two shades of green.

No comments:

Post a Comment