Thursday, August 19, 2010

Starting on the Deck Frames

After a couple of days of thinking, measuring, buying materials, and avoiding any actual work, I started on the deck frames.  They will be about 7" wide at the deck level, and taper down to nothing at the chine.  Structurally, they are to just support the deck, not hold the sides in place; the thwarts will do that.  Spaced every 12", there are a lot of frames to make, and no two will be quite alike. They will require good joiner work, which I'll have to learn on the job.

I bought nice planks of 1x8 clear white pine to make the frames. But I also bought a couple of cheap spruce planks to practice on. Today I got out my tools and had at it. Making a practice version of the aft-most frame on the port side, on the first try I cut an angle the wrong direction. The second effort was the right general shape, but I planed away too much bevel on the side, and it took over an hour to make. The third one was quicker and better, but not quite a good enough fit. And what is the cheap practice wood for if not for practice? The fourth copy was made easily and quickly, and with a little shaving and sanding it fit very well. I tacked it in place. Cuttng and fitting the next two frames was easy. Now I can go back and start for real, using the good wood. When they are all cut and fit I'll fix them in place with screws and epoxy. This part of the project worried me the whole three months I was away, but now I feel confident I'll be able to do a good job of it. In fact, there are so many of the frames to make, this may be an exception to the rule that I (1) only get so I can do a job just as it's finished, and (2) forget how before I ever have to do it again.




I have made one good improvement to the work area, spreading a tarp over two shade tents to make a shaded and protected cover to work under. I worked for several hours today in full Florida sun and heat without once thinking of Lawrence of Arabia.



No comments:

Post a Comment