Wednesday, November 3, 2010

Hull Finished!

Over the last two days I finished painting the topsides and bottom, so hull is officially complete.


Yesterday I printed the name onto the dull side of photo paper and cut out the letters with an X-acto knife, producing a template which I then traced onto the transom and painted. It makes a good way to put the name on the boat, short of hiring a signpainter.  The photo makes it looks crooked, but it isn't.



Today I assembled, glued and screwed the rudder. It's a sandwich, with 6mm plywood the bread and 3/4" pine as the meat. It's messy and ugly; I'll post a photo when it's trimmed and shaped. The rudder will a covering of epoxy and polyester fabric.

I'll be going out of town for ten days starting Friday. When I get back it will be time to turn the boat over and work on finishing the inside. It doesn't hurt to leave the topside paint to cure for a while. It dries fast but takes a month to fully cure. Meanwhile, it is satisfying to have the hull finished. Doesn't look bad, either.

No comments:

Post a Comment