Friday, February 4, 2011

Back to Painting

Today turned out to be warm and dry- good painting weather. But before I could paint anything I had to sand the whole boat, inside and outside down to the chines, to get a good surface for the new oil-based enamel. That took only a couple of hours with the orbital and detail sanders, and a little hand sanding.

After vacuuming everything and wiping down with damp cloths, the boat was clean of dust and ready to paint. I started on the inside and got the entire port side done. It was slow going, and I could see that there would not be time to paint the starboard side, so I gave the deck its first coat (for the second time).

The new paint is a gloss finish, which mercilessly shows any imperfection in the surface, but I'm willing to make that sacrifice if it doesn't just turn to slime and slide off like the acrylic paint did. It makes a good looking finish, but brush marks do show. It will need sanding and a second coat, at least on the inside bottom and the deck.

No pictures today; it looks just like it did Wednesday, except this time the paint should still be there tomorrow.

Tomorrow's forecast is for rain, so I may not get much done. But who knows- today was also supposed to be cloudy and wet.

No comments:

Post a Comment