Wednesday, March 31, 2010

A little work done, and mystery ship identified

.

Wednesday, Mar. 31:  I had promised a friend to help him with a home remodeling project today, but he had to delay the starting time so I was able to get in an hour or two of boatbuilding.  I worked with the electric plane to take the sheer down to the right level and the right angle for the deck.  The plane is a hungry and unforgiving tool, and it is easy to cut away too much, so I took it extra slowly and carefully.  I got the starboard side just about done before I was called away.  We are having a stretch of perfect weather: sunny, dry, and in the 70's.  It was a pleasure to be working outside.

We have identified the sailing ship pictured yesterday, thanks to today's newspaper.  It is a replica of Columbus's Pinta.  There is a Columbus Foundation in the Virgin Islands which built a replica of the Nin~a, using trraditional methods and hand tools, and a somewhat less traditionally built replica of the Pinta.  No Santa Maria yet.  They are in town until next Monday, and docked nearby.  We will try to find time to visit them before they leave.


No comments:

Post a Comment