Friday, February 26, 2010

Hull shell complete







Friday, Feb. 26: Another chilly morning. What happened to global warming?

I trimmed the bottom panel excess where it overlapped the sides, using a jigsaw, then an electric plane, and then a belt sander. I dinged the sides in just a couple of places with the power tools, but those spots will easily be filled and sanded later.
Finally, I hand sanded to ease the sharp edge at the chine.

So the shell of the hull is complete. Just for fun, I measured the length. I say just for fun, because it is what it is. Anyway, it measures just 1/8” longer than the plan. Plenty close enough.

I also trimmed the centerboard to its final shape and rounded the corners. And I was delighted to finally catch the designer in a mistake. He shows the forward lower corner of the centerboard, by the pivot pin, with a curve of about 2” radius. If I built it that way, when the board is lowered that corner would surely swing forward enough to bind against the front of the centerboard trunk. And it would be the devil’s own job to fix after the boat is built. So I rounded that corner using the pivot pin point as the center of the radius. I still need to taper the edges of the board and cover it with fiberglass. I have not figured out yet what gear, if any, will be required to pull the board back up from a full down position. The plans don’t show anything for that. A rope lanyard would do the trick; the only difficulty might be the rope jamming in the centerboard trunk.

I carefully drew a centerline on the bottom, and marked off where the centerboard slot will be. I also marked the six design cross section stations on the bottom and sides. I will need those reference points when working inside the boat.

Next up: build and install the gripe (plank along the bottom) and skeg. And may lightning strike me if I make any jokes about the word gripe.

No comments:

Post a Comment