Tuesday, February 16, 2010

Trimming the sides and chines flat







Tuesday, Feb. 16: An easy task today. I trimmed the sides and the chines, which are attached to the sides, down to the designed final line, and flat across. That way the bottom will fit flush on the chines and sides. Then I trimmed off the excess length of the sides at the transom and at the stem. I did most of that with the electric plane, finishing with a hand block plane and finally a belt sander. I took it slowly, with frequent checks of the flatness, and avoided any major mistakes with the electric plane, which are all too easy to make.

My only regret is that my wonderful chine clamp inventions have done their job and will be needed no longer. I'll take off the hinges and save them for another project.

The next step is the bottom panel. It will require butting two lengths of plywood; by now that's no challenge. But I've already used more bronze screws than I expected. I ordered more, but delivery may delay attaching the bottom by a day or two. Meanwhile, I'll lay out the centerboard and rudder, which will each be made of two laminations of 12 mm (just about 1/2") plywood.

1 comment:

  1. Will there be a false stem to protect the ends of the sides?

    ReplyDelete