Tuesday, October 5, 2010

Sand, Varnish, Sand, Fill

Tuesday, Oct. 5

Another day of...



...sanding and...


















...varnishing the spars. This makes three coats on the mast and sprit, four on the club. I think I'll go for six coats.












Then it was back to the hull for more sanding. I reached down inside the centerboard trunk to sand the fabric set in epoxy tucked down there; That was difficult to reach until I hit on the right tool: a 4-in-hand rasp, which made short work of it. I continued to sand the bottom and topsides until I had sanded off all positive bumps, leaving just low spots and irregularities to fill and fair. I did not have time to do all the filling, needed mainly along the gripe, but I did get the other odd spots filled and ready to sand tomorrow. Boatbuilding will have to share my time tomorrow with the Rays opening post season game. Maybe I'll listen on the radio while I work.

A recent ad in Woodenboat was looking for boatbuilders "quick and meticulous". Imagine that. Besides the professional builders, there are plenty of amateurs building much larger and more ambitions boats than mine, and they have my deep and growing respect. I looked at Reuel Parker's big sharpie schooner this evening (http://www.schooneribis.blogspot.com/). And yesterday, while looking for ideas how to strike a waterline, I read excerpts of Lin and Larry Pardey's books. Incredible that they ever finished their boats and went sailing. This boat is plenty of challenge for me. I wouldn't say I'm meticulous, maybe painstaking would be more like it. And as for quick, they built clipper ships outdoors in the winter quicker than I'm building my little boat. Who cares?

No comments:

Post a Comment