Friday, December 17, 2010

A Good Day for Boatbuilding, and Gems of Wisdom

Today was the first time all week the temperature was above the "E-line", the 60 degrees necessary for epoxy to set up, and I made the most of it.

I filled what I hope are the last of the holes, gaps, etc. on the boat's interior, and tomorrow I will sand them and paint if weather permits.

The centerboard is now done- ready to hang on its pivot pin. Working indoors I sanded and painted the board over the last few days. The part below the waterline is anti-fouling bottom paint. The upper part is green to match the interior trim. Today I brought it outside and applied the finish coat of green paint, and attached a lanyard to pull it down and back up. I'll hold off on hanging the centerboard for a few days while the paint cures.




I also gave all the sternsheets boards a second coat of paint today. They are ready to put in the boat as soon as the interior is painted.

One side of the rudder got its fabric sheathing, set in epoxy. Having learned a thing or two frm fabric-coating the centerboard, I was able to do a much neater job on the rudder. Tomorrow I can flip it and do the other side, weather again permitting.




Finally, I epoxied fiberglass tape in strips across the underside of the forward deck piece to strengthen and stiffen it.





As for gems of wisdom, this from Howard Chapelle:

"Recently... glowing compliments were given to the presumed skill of the amateur builder. It is my considered opinion that this is slush and that the average home builder is a dub where good boatbuilding is concerned".

and this:

"I think both amateur and professional builders are too often encouraged by designers to attempt boats beyond their skills.  ... I have long believed that the sharpie, with her sides and bottom straight in section... is the utmost the outright beginner should attempt as a home-building project".

No comments:

Post a Comment