Tuesday, January 19, 2010

Bevels Bevels Bevels


Tuesday, Jan. 19: Today I really didn't want to take full advantage of my first chance to do damage to the expensive new wood, so I approached it timidly. What I should have done was butt two plywood panels end to end, and rough cut the topsides: an easy job. But I knew the transom would have to be built and installed before I could attach the topsides, so I started on the transom, which I have mentioned is a devilishly complicated assembly. The side edges of the transom must be beveled so the sides , which taper in toward the stern, fit flat; that's one bevel angle. But the transom itself angles back, which increases that side edge bevel angle (think about it). The top of the transom is beveled in line with the chine, but there are also a narrow deck and a coaming which come together at the transom. The bottom edge of the transom has a 48 degree bevel, a sharper angle than any of my power saws can cut (circular saw, jigsaw, table saw or bandsaw). The bevel on that edge had to be done with a plane. A lot of ways to go wrong, and I really really didn't want to start this part of the project with a ruined piece. So I took all afternoon to cut out the plywood transom panel. I got it done with just one small error which can be filled with epoxy later. Tomorrow I will cut out and attach fashion pieces, strips of wood inside the transom panel to reinforce the plywood and provide something to fasten the sides and other pieces to. Then I'll be ready to set up the transom on the strongback and work on the topside panels. When those are attached to the stem and transom and trimmed up, it will start to look like a boat.

No comments:

Post a Comment