Wednesday, January 13, 2010

A fair hull at last

Saturday, Jan. 9 A cold, rainy day. A good time to go shopping for white oak for the stem, stem liner, and sternpost. What was once a major local lumber yard, in the days before Home Depot, has contracted into a specialty hardwood and custom milling shop. I was the only customer there, and the only one manning the place was an old black gentleman (been there 30 years, he says), with all the time in the world to chat and help me pick out the pieces I need, cut them to the rough sizes needed, plane them down to the right thickness, and square them with a jointer. One piece I needed was to be 4’ long. He cut it out of the middle of a 12’ piece because that was the best part of the board. I asked how much I owed and he looked thoughtfully up at the ceiling for a long while, and said “Well… let’s see. I don’t want to cheat you now. Would $25 be OK? I don’t want to cheat you now”. I think we’re not in Home Depot any more, Toto.

Jan. 10 After trimming the molds to correct for the bottom plank thickness and any other inaccuracy, they are all within 1/16” in all measurements, and aligned right. I have to admit that accomplishing that was harder and took longer than I originally expected, but the important thing is it’s done and done right.

Jan. 11 I tacked a thin panel of doorskin material to the molds, tacked long battens to that panel along the chine and sheer, and marked the outline of the side plank on the doorskin panel. Then I was able to measure the bevel angle which needs to be cut in the stem.

No comments:

Post a Comment