Tuesday, January 4, 2011

Deck Fabric Covered

I started early today and applied a saturation coat of epoxy on the deck. The job went slowly but without a hitch. It conformed easily to the corners, and I was glad for all the preparation work I had done. As I applied the epoxy, I covered the deck with wax paper. The idea is the wax paper doesn't adhere to the epoxy, and it leaves a smoother surface when the epoxy cures and you peel it off.



While I was waiting for the deck to cure I sanded the rudder. It will need one more coat of epoxy before painting.

When the deck was halfway hardened I trimmed it at the top of the coaming and just over the sheer on the topsides. The wax paper did peel off in most places, but in other spots it tended to stick. It may have been easier to peel it off after the epoxy was cured; I'm not sure it was worth the bother.

I applied a second, thicker coat of epoxy while the first coat was still fresh. Doing it that way, the second coat bondschemically with the first.


As you can see from the reflection, the deck will need thorough sanding and probably another coat of epoxy before painting, but I'll probaby have to leave it alone to cure for about three days to get any amine blush scrubbed off. In the meantime I'll work on the rudder, tiller, and rub rails.

No comments:

Post a Comment