Sunday, January 9, 2011

Mostly Sanding

I will often be working on several different projects at the same time each day from now on, not because I am rushing but because a lot of finish work consists of small jobs.

Yesterday was a short day by the time I got organized, but you can only do so much sanding in one session anyway. I got the port side of the deck sanded, starting with a belt sander and following up with an orbital sander. And then, since the result was better than the previous day's effort, I went back and resanded the starboard side.

Today's tasks included giving the rub rails a light sanding and an initial coat of paint,



... and filling all the spots on the deck which still needed it after all that sanding. I also bonded in place the trim piece behind the top of the stem.



To enable me to keep the boat suspended from a single davit, I need lifting lifting ring support points, and fitting those took most of the day. The lifting point at the stern was an easy choice, since the sternpost provides a secure member. I drilled for a U-bolt, and secured it in place permanently.


One the sides forward, I would have made one of the frames extra sturdy if I had planned ahead. I spent a lot of time thinking of alternatives, and I like what I came up with. On each side I cut a slot in the deck for a stainless steel strap which bolts to the inside of the sheer clamp and then continues down to bolt to the topsides in three places. The strap runs alongside the forward edge of one of the frames.


Happily, although it wasn't a requirement of my plan, I already have all the hardware I needed for the lifting supports, except the bolts for the straps forward. Years ago I salvaged ALL the hardward from a small boat which had deteriorated beyond saving, and ever since then, before buying any marine hardware, I check that I don't already have what I need. It's nice to save money; I don't make do with what I have, but what I do have sometimes gives me an idea for how to rig what I need.

Next up: sand the deck again, and fit the rub rails.

No comments:

Post a Comment