Sunday, January 16, 2011

Odds and Ends

After a week of enforced silence (computer trouble), I can give a brief report of progress since last Sunday:

Last Monday and Tuesday: Sanded the deck and sheer.

Wednesday: Made what I call the tiller base, which connects the tiller to the rudder (picture below).

Thursday: I trimmed up the edges of the tiller base on the router table, and gave it a coat of varnish. I painted the rudder, both above and below the waterline, and I have the wooden main sheet block another coat of varnish.

Friday: I trimmed off the tabs at the top of the rudder, and gave it another coat of paint. I also started to close down the boat's building site. I put away all the tools and materials which will not be needed for finishing the boat, and I cleaned and organized the indoor work shop.

Saturday: I gave the tiller base and block another coat of varnish. The outside of the coaming and the top of the topsides at the sheer still needed smoothing, so I applied a coat of epoxy thickened with glass microballoons.

Today, Sunday: The epoxy fairing applied yesterday has not cured hard enough to sand because it is too cold, And yesterday's varnish has not dried yet, either, for the same reason. So besides bolting the pintles onto the rudder, nothing much got done today.

Here is how the tiller base connects the rudder and the tiller. It fits well, and the wood is beautiful. Dark red like mahogany, but much harder wood.


She's getting there, but plenty of sandng and painting is still to be done.

No comments:

Post a Comment