Tuesday, September 28, 2010

342 Holes Filled, and a Challenge for Readers

Tuesday, September 28

Two projects today: one mindless, the other definitely not.

I filled 342 screw holes, bolt holes, dings, joints and mistakes with epoxy putty. Yes, I counted. I had nothing better to do at the time. That was the mindless job. Tomorrow, when the filler is cured, I'll put on my respirator and sand them all down.



The other job was to calculate and mark the taper for the sprit. I did not have to invent a method; Howard Chapelle's Boatbuilding spells out how to do it. I enjoyed the challenge, and if you care to give it a try, see if you can follow his instructions and determine what the diameter of the sprit should be at intervals along its length. All you need is a piece of paper, a ruler, pencil and compass. Here are the plan specificatons, and Chapelle's instructions, reproduced here without permission, of course:

Sprit length 10'5"
Sprit diameter:
3/4" at sheet (aft) end
1 3/4" at 1/3 aft of mast
7/8" at fore end
(Fore end extends 10" forward of mast)


No comments:

Post a Comment