Thursday, September 16, 2010

Assembling the Centerboard Trunk







Thursday, September 16

I started this morning by sanding the centerboard and the insides of the centerboard trunk sides. They are covered with polyester fabric set in epoxy, and I was pleased how well they sanded smooth. There's still a finish layer of epoxy and paint to apply, but I'm enough satisfied that I know the final thickness of the centerboard to commit to the 1 1/4" inside width of the trunk, which becomes the headledge thickness. I planed those pieces to 1 1/4" exactly.

I screwed the headledges and the logs and caps,which I made yesterday, onto the centerboard trunk sides...

... leaving the ends long. I marked them for cutting, then unscrewed the pieces and trimmed off the excess.






Here is the assembled centerboard trunk, set in place. Before it is actually "done", there's lots to do: sand the edges flush, fit the bottom edge as closely as I can to the keelson, then disassemble it, round off the exposed corners. Then I can glue and screw the logs and caps, drill the sides for the pivot pin, and  epoxy seal and paint the insides. Then the sides can be glued and screwed to the headledges, and.... You get the idea.
Note to myself:  When using the shop vac to clean out the dust bag on the sander, connect the shop vac's hose to the vacuum port, not the blower port.



No comments:

Post a Comment