Wednesday, September 1, 2010

Making the Mast Thwart and Mast Heel Tenon

Wednesday, Sept. 1

It's a good thing I'm not on a piecework basis.  I spent several hours today, primarily just cutting and fitting the mast thwart. The important thing is I got it right. It fits tightly under the sheer clamp, held in place by frames fore and aft and by horizontal stringers let into the frames. All those pieces are done; just needs to be glued and fastened permanently.









I also cut a tenon in the heel of the mast, to fit into the mast step.








I located the right position for the mast step, to give a 13 degree rake for the mast, as the plans show, and started work on the mast step itself. Once the mast step is bolted in place and the thwart is fastened, no further adjustments will be possible, so I better have it right.  Maybe I'll fasten the step with screws so I can move it forward or back a little if sailing trials suggest I need to. Or maybe I'll just bolt it down and trust my work.

No comments:

Post a Comment