Wednesday, September 22, 2010

Red Letter Day- Centerboard Trunk Made, and First Paint

Wednesday, Sept. 22

It has always amazed me how little can get done some days, and how much on others, like today.

As planned, I rounded off the edges of the #2 thwart on the router table, sanded both thwarts, and sealed them with epoxy. The thwarts are yellow pine, which is a beautiful and strong wood when planed and sanded, but it needs to be sealed and screwed down quickly or it tends to warp.

I glued and screwed one side of the centerboard trunk to the headledges, then applied a final coat of epoxy to the insides of the centerboard trunk. I did not expect to be able to do more on it today, but It was hot and sunny and the epoxy set up quickly. So I sanded the sides and painted them with antifouling paint- the first paint on the boat.








The paint also dried in about an hour, so I glued and screwed the other side to the headledges, completing the centerboard assembly.











I also glued and screwed the outer stem in place. I made that piece a long time ago, but put off attaching it because I thought it would be easier to fit the deck while the stem was out of the way. I've gained confidence since. The stem needs to be trimmed at the top, of course.












Finally, I put a coat of paint on all sides of the risers, the little pieces which support the thwarts, because I know they will be inaccessible once they are in place. The basic color for the boat's inside is a light gray green. In the photo it looks white like the paper under it, but it is gray green for sure.



There's a tradition that when a ship's last "shutter" plank is in, the whole workforce gets a tot of rum. Since my planks are plywood, I missed out on that. So when the first paint was applied, I gave the entire crew a tot of rum, and I enjoyed it.







No comments:

Post a Comment